Tax Services & Preparation FAQ

Will I need to update my current account information?

You can go through the return process without creating an account. This gives you the opportunity to view and interact with the program without having to login.The program will re-confirm your decision to create an account later throughout parts of the interview process. You will be unable to access your entries later unless you create an account, and if you encounter a problem with your connection, all of your entries will be lost. That’s why we suggest you create an account now. However, you can create an account at any point during the interview process.

What Information Do I Need To Get Started?

Here are the items you will want to make sure you have handy ;

1. Social Security numbers for yourself, your spouse, and any dependents.
2. W-2 forms from all employers are required for yourself and your spouse.
3. 1099 forms for Dividends, Retirement, or other income, or any 1099 forms with Income Tax Withholding.
4. Receipts for expenses for Itemized Deductions (Schedule A).
5. Receipts and records for other income or expenses.
6. Bank Account numbers (for a fast refund, or to pay electronically).
7. Complete information on what records you need, and how long to keep your records.
8. Prior year Adjusted Gross Income amount if using a Self-Select PIN as your signature.

Confirmation of Acceptance

Express1040 keeps you informed throughout the tax filing process. You can check the status of your tax return anytime by logging into your account. After you have e-filed, we send you an email stating that your tax return has been either accepted or declined by the IRS. If the IRS declines your tax return for any reason, we will notify you via email and help you correct the problem. We do not charge additional fees to resubmit your tax return after corrections have been made.

What happens if I file electronically, and the IRS rejects my return?

First, you need to determine the reason for rejection. If it is something simple, like a misspelled name or your social security number was entered incorrectly, then you only need to correct the mistaken information, and re-submit for electronic filing. If the issue is something more, you may need to contact the IRS at or at (800) 829-1040 and find out what you need to do to correct the problem with your return. It is possible that you will not be able to file electronically due to some IRS regulation. In that case you will need to print out your return and mail it to the IRS.

I Ineed to find my AGI Adjusted Gross Income from last year

I need to find my AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) from last year so I can file electronically. Can you help?

There are a few ways to find your AGI:

Your AGI can be found on Form 1040 (lines 34 & 35) or Form 1040A (lines 21 & 22) or
Form 1040EZ (line 4) or on your TeleFile form (line 1).
You can contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. If they can verify your identity, they will tell you last year’s AGI over the phone.
If you filed a joint return last year, the AGI from that return is entered for both the taxpayer and spouse.

In what states can I file a return using offers state filing in all states in the US. Click here to see if your state is available.

Can I get into my account to print a copy of my return after filing my taxes using software?
If you filed your taxes at, simply log into your account to print copies of your return at any time

Is my information protected? Is the site secure? uses the highest-level encryption technology commercially available and works with the IRS and state tax authorities to protect all your information. Your information is held in strictest confidence by and none of your information is shared with any third party other than the IRS and state tax

How can I correct a mistake on my federal e-file return?

Once accepted, you must allow the e-file return to process before making any changes. You cannot correct a mistake online on a federal return which was filed electronically.

You need to file an amended or corrected return using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, as soon as possible. Include copies of any schedules that have been changed or any Forms W-2 you did not include. The 1040X is a paper form. You may contact Taxmartcustomer service for assistance in completing an amended tax return.

Can you send an amended (or a corrected) tax return electronically?

No, an amended return must be filed on a paper using IRS Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, and mailed to your servicing center for processing. You may submit the form once your original return has processed. Should you require assistance with an amended tax return please contact Taxmart.

More Taxing Questions

Q: Are cell phones provided to employees considered taxable benefits if the employees are allowed some personal use?

Q: Are there any tax breaks that expired at the end of 2011 that might still be extended to 2012?

Q: Can my company file 1099s using only partial Social Security numbers to protect the identities of recipients?

Q: How can I verify that a charity I’m donating to is eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions?

Q: Is a Roth IRA conversion this year a good idea?

Q: Is tax relief available for businesses that may have misclassified workers as independent contractors?

Q: What are the substantiation requirements for charitable donations of property?

Q: What estate planning opportunities exist in this low-interest-rate-environment?

Q: What tax law changes are in store for 2013?

Q: When can I deduct casualty losses?